Monday, August 13, 2007

Vows.

I professed First Vows in the Society exactly one year ago today. I recall some moments of the day with crystal clarity - in my mind's eye I can instantly picture myself kneeling on a marble step in the sanctuary of Detroit's Gesu Church to profess my vows, and I can just easily conjure up an image of myself signing papers in the sacristy afterward with my fellow vovendi. I can see my parents sitting in a church pew in their finery, and I can see my friend and fellow Hoya Cory Meltzer walking up the center aisle of a now-empty church after the Mass to congratulate me. At the same time, my recollections of the day remain somewhat blurry. There's a lot about the day I can't remember - what time I got up, for example, or what I ate, or when I went to bed. More importantly, though, I vividly recall the mix of excitement, joy and uncertainty I felt as I took vows. I feel the same emotions today, and as I have each day of the past year I awoke this morning grateful for the gift of being called to follow Christ in the Society that bears his name.

I had ample opportunity to reflect on the gift of this vocation yesterday morning as I watched my erstwhile primi Richard Beebe, Tim McCabe and Chris Staab profess perpetual vows of poverty, chastity and obedience at SS. Peter and Paul Jesuit Church in Detroit. I'm very proud of Rich, Tim and Chris, and I'm very happy that I was able to witness their profession of First Vows. Rich has posted some of his own thoughts on the event on his blog, and I commend his words to your attention. Newly-minted second-year novice Christopher Gagnon also has some reflections on the vow weekend online, and I suggest you read these as well. Christopher and his classmates did an outstanding job singing and serving at the Vow Mass, and they also showed considerable creativity and skill in organizing the traditional vigil service the night before vows. I commend the new secundi for their fine work, and I'm confident they'll do great things in the future. As I give thanks today for my own vocation, I am thankful also for all those whom God has called into the Society of Jesus. I pray that we may all be faithful to our common call as sons of the Church and Companions of Jesus. AMDG.

1 Comments:

At 8/14/2007 7:49 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Happy anniversary! I drove through New Bedford yesterday -- and sent a prayer aloft for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home