Wednesday, October 18, 2006

365 days of St. Ignatius.


If you've ever browsed through the religion section of a large bookstore, you've probably encountered numerous books that fall into what I call the "daily meditation" genre - short volumes that provide selections from the writings of some great spiritual master, organized according to the days of the year (or some fraction thereof, like Advent or Lent). Such a book fell into my hands today, and I mention it here because it may be of interest to the readers of this blog. The book is called Thoughts of St. Ignatius Loyola for Every Day of the Year, a title that explains the book's contents very well. While most other "daily meditation" books are modern compilations, Thoughts of St. Ignatius was put together by a Hungarian Jesuit named Gabriel Hevenesi in the early 18th century. First published in English translation in 1928, the book was long out of print when Fordham University Press issued a new edition last month. Thoughts of St. Ignatius is a nifty little book, and I'm thinking I might place my copy on my bedside table as a prayer companion for the coming calendar year. When you start doing your Christmas shopping for this year, you may want to consider ordering Thoughts of St. Ignatius Loyola for Every Day of the Year as a stocking stuffer for your favorite Jesuit or Ignaciophile. AMDG.

1 Comments:

At 10/20/2006 9:40 AM, Blogger H.M. said...

Joe, I really appreciate this recommendation. I may have to pick this one up. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home