Monday, January 15, 2007

The Catholic alphabet meme.

Karen has tagged me for a meme, and I'm happy to oblige:

[A is for Apparitions - your favorite]: The Annunciation. (Lk 1:26-38)

[B is for Bible - the one you read most often]: The Revised Standard Version, specifically this edition which I bought for a Biblical Literature course in college and have kept ever since.

[C is for Charism - the one you would most like to have]: I'm happy with the one that I do have.

[D is for Doctor of the Church - your favorite]: Saint Thérèse of Lisieux.

[E is for Essential Prayer - what's yours?]: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

[F is for Favorite Hymn]: The Salve Regina.

[G is for Gospel - your favorite author?]: John.

[H is for Holy Communion - How would you describe it, using one word?]: Daily.

[I is for Inspiration - When do you feel most inspired by God?]: On solitary walks, whether in the quiet of the country or in the midst of the city.

[J is for Jesus - When did you first meet Him?]: In a formal sense, when I made my First Communion. In a much more transformative sense, when I made my first Ignatian retreat at Wernersville while I was an undergrad at Georgetown.

[K is for Kindness - Which saint or person has most inspired you by their kindness?]: It's hard to pick just one, as I have a lot of models to choose from, but I'm going to go with Blessed Brother André Bessette.

[L is for Liturgical Year - your favorite time in the liturgical cycle]: Holy Week.

[M is for Mary, the Mother of God - your favorite term of endearment for her]: Theotokos.

[N is for New Testament - your favorite passage]: John 14:1-3.

[O is for Old Testament - your favorite book here]: The Psalms.

[P is for Psalms - your favorite]: Psalm 63.

[Q is for Quote - saint quote]: "Pray as if everything depended on God and work as if everything depended on you." Saint Ignatius of Loyola.

[R is for Rosary - your favorite mysteries]: Joyful.

[S is for Saint - the one you turn to in time of need - not including the Blessed Virgin Mary]: Saint Ignatius of Loyola.

[T is for Tradition - your favorite Catholic tradition]: A tie between fish on Friday and Midnight Mass.

[U is for University - Which Catholic university have you attended or are currently attending?]: I have degrees from Georgetown and Notre Dame and am currently enrolled at Fordham. For what it's worth, I also took a single course at the University of Detroit Mercy while I was in the novitiate.

[V is for Virtue - the one you wish you had]: Charity.

[W is for Way of the Cross - Which station can you most relate to?]: The first.

[X is for Xaverian Brothers - Do you know who they are?]: Yes - they sponsor two schools (St. John's Prep and Xaverian Brothers High School) in the state where I grew up.

[Y is for your favorite Catholic musician]: If composers count, I'd probably say Mozart. If by "musician" you mean performer, I have no idea.

[Z is for Zeal for the faith]: With God's help, yes.

I would tag Matt, but he's making the Long Retreat. Be sure to pray for him and all the other Jesuit novices who are making the Exercises in various places. AMDG.

1 Comments:

At 1/15/2007 8:59 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to reflect on this a bit and see if I have a chance to reply tomorrow on my blog.

Peace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home