Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A family weekend in the Bronx.

My family made a much-appreciated visit to Ciszek Hall this past weekend. In addition to getting to see the house and to meet some of the guys I live with, they had a chance to profit from the first decent weekend of the spring to see three of the four attractions that draw people to this neighborhood: Fordham University, Arthur Avenue (a.k.a. "Little Italy in the Bronx"), and the Bronx Zoo. (The fourth major area attraction, which no Koczera has yet seen, is the New York Botanical Garden.)

Though the cluster of Italian restaurants, bakeries and pastry shops that dominate Arthur Avenue are mere blocks away from where I live, the nature of my schedule and the limitations of my budget have so far kept me from sampling the area's renowned Italian eateries as much as I'd like. Nonetheless, I've been slowly getting to know the various dining places in the neighborhood. I'm particularly fond of Ann and Tony's at 2407 Arthur Avenue, which is where I took my parents when they visited in the fall for a Red Sox-Yankees game (the Sox won, 5-2). This time we went to Giovanni's at 2343 Arthur, followed by dessert at Palombo's Caffe' at the corner of 187th and Arthur. Though the comparative merits of the various restaurants on Arthur Avenue are the subject of much debate, I've enjoyed every meal I've had there. The area also attracted favorable reviews from my family, so I'll be sure to bring them back there next time they're in town.

Zoos aren't really my thing, but as far as I can tell the one in the Bronx is quite good. I'm told that the Bronx Zoo was one of the first to start exhibiting animals in free-range settings that approximate their natural habitats - a distinction the staff and directors ought to be proud of. The glorious weather we had on Sunday made for a good visit to the zoo, concluding an enjoyable if too-brief family visit. I'm thankful for the opportunity to see my folks, and I'm happy to have had a chance to get to know my neighborhood a little better. AMDG.

1 Comments:

At 4/26/2007 3:20 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Wait, you mean you didn't take them to Pugsley's Pizza?

I'm glad you had great weather and such a good time! I envy your parents for getting to hang out at Ciszek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home