Tuesday, February 12, 2008

From the Hilltop to the Main Line.

It may not be 'big news' in the grand scheme of things, but I felt my undergraduate experience recede a little further into the past a few minutes ago when I read that Dean Jane McAuliffe will be leaving Georgetown to become president of Bryn Mawr College. My encounters with Dr. McAuliffe during my time on the Hilltop were very few, though I did dine at her house a couple of times as part of "Dinner with the Dean" evenings open to students in Georgetown College. That said, one of the best courses I had at Georgetown was a class on Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy taught by Professor Dennis McAuliffe, the Dean's husband. Since both McAuliffes are going to Bryn Mawr, I hope that students there will have the benefit of taking "Dante: The Vision and the Poet" (or a course much like it) with Dennis McAuliffe. My prayers and good wishes are with the McAuliffes as they prepare for this new stage in their lives. AMDG.

1 Comments:

At 2/13/2008 8:23 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

As a faculty member at Bryn Mawr, I was delighted -- and glad to hear that both our new community members will be a gift! I had a lovely conversation with Prof. Dennis McAuliffe last Friday and am looking forward to having another contemplative on campus. The Dante is a plus, too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home