Saturday, October 04, 2008

San Francisco de Asís.





As I've mentioned before, I've never been particularly taken with St. Francis of Assisi, whose memorial is celebrated today. That said, the positive impact that this great saint has had on the life of the Church is evident in the great work that has been done through the centuries by members of the Franciscan family. Today, I'll be praying for all of the various Franciscan communities and for their ministries.

To mark today's feast, I thought I'd share some photos I took three years ago at the Misión San Francisco de Asís, better known as Mission Dolores, in the eponymous City of San Francisco. Established in 1776 by Franciscan friars Junípero Serra (beatified in 1988) and Francisco Palóu, the mission church was completed in 1791 and is the oldest building in San Francisco. Though dwarfed by the large basilica next door (first photo), the old mission still retains its original appearance and decoration (second photo). The Franciscans no longer direct the parish, but reminders of their presence may be found inside the church (third photo) and in the mission cemetery (fourth photo). Contrary to what some may suppose, the statue in the cemetery is not of Francis of Assisi but of Junípero Serra. For me, Mission Dolores was a fine place to visit and to pray in on a rainy afternoon. Should you find yourself in San Francisco, I encourage you to stop in and see for yourself. AMDG.

2 Comments:

At 10/06/2008 11:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Joe--Hello after a long time (this is David). I've started reading your blog regularly. Glad you enjoyed San Francisco; it's one of my favorite cities. Apparently you were there for the feast of St. Francis. Was there a particular occasion that brought you there? (I haven't followed all your travels closely enough in case there's a more obvious reason why you may have been there. I will write you a more detailed email soon to try to catch up--my apologize for being a terrible correspondent. Take care!

 
At 10/07/2008 12:44 PM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

David Russo,

Good to hear from you. I wasn't in SF for the Feast of St. Francis, but I was there in the spring of 2005. I don't know if they make a big deal of the feast day there, given the name of the city - you might know more. Hope all is well,

Joe K sj

 

Post a Comment

<< Home