Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A priest and a scientist?



I suspect that regular readers who are scientists (you know who you are) will like this video featuring Jesuit Father Kevin FitzGerald, a molecular geneticist and bioethicist who holds the David Lauler Chair for Catholic Health Care Ethics at Georgetown University. In this video, Father FitzGerald explains how his two callings as a priest and scientist complement one another and talks about how his research helps the Church. I have never felt drawn to a scientific career, but I have written before about how the presence within the Society of Jesus of "hyphenated priests" who found God in various academic disciplines helped me to find my own vocation as a Jesuit. If you know someone who might be similarly inspired by the existence of priest-scientists like Father FitzGerald, you might suggest that he take a look at the above video. AMDG.

2 Comments:

At 11/26/2011 8:15 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I think that "hyphenated priests" also model for me a way of life that not only balances prayer and work, but integrates them.

Thanks!

 
At 11/26/2011 11:39 PM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Michelle,

You're welcome! (And yes, you were one of the readers I thought would like the video.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home