Thursday, July 11, 2013

May we be strengthened by his presence...



Some readers of this blog know that St. Benedict of Nursia is my favorite saint, and some - though fewer - also know that I carry the Medal of St. Benedict in my pocket. It seems opportune to share a photo of this medal today given that this is the Feast of St. Benedict, which is actually the Feast of the Translation of the Relics of SS. Benedict and Scholastica ("translation" in this case referring to a time when the remains of these saints had to be moved from one monastery to another to protect them from invaders). May I commend this explanation of the medal and its symbolism to your attention?

Some readers may recall that I made my annual retreat last year at a Benedictine monastery, and the monks there are in my thoughts and prayers today. I also pray for all members of the Benedictine family and for all who take inspiration from the example and Rule of St. Benedict. To borrow a prayer from the Medal of St. Benedict, Eius in obitu nostro praesentia muniamur! May we be strengthened by his presence in the hour of our death! AMDG.

4 Comments:

At 7/11/2013 11:43 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

I really enjoyed your pictures of Portsmouth Abbey and was taken back a few years ago when I spent several days at Abbey of the Genesee. I loved the silence and the opportunity of sharing in the rhythm of the monks at every time of prayer.

 
At 7/12/2013 5:01 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I, too, love St. Benedict and his wise Rule. I alternate between a St. Benedict medal and one of St. Scholastica around my neck. Portsmouth Abbey looks like a wonderful place to go on retreat. I used to travel down to Hingham, MA for retreats at Glastonbury Abbey. An old friend, Thomas O'Connor was just installed as abbot there.

 
At 8/21/2013 7:01 PM, Blogger Fr. Martin T. Connell, SJ said...

I think you'd enjoy this book, Joe: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/1004.html

 
At 8/21/2013 8:08 PM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Thanks for the link, Marty - sounds like a fascinating book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home