Tuesday, July 07, 2009

A Pennsylvania Fourth.






On Saturday, I celebrated the Fourth of July by joining a couple of other Jesuits for fireworks in suburban Narberth, a short drive from the SJU campus. Given that I live in Philadelphia, some readers may wonder why I didn't join in the massive holiday festivities downtown - after all, you might say, how could I pass up the opportunity to celebrate Independence Day in the city where it all started? The answer is very simple. As I wrote in a Fourth of July post two years ago, I've always regarded Independence Day as a small-town affair. The prospect of celebrating the Fourth in the midst of a major metropolis holds no appeal for me; my template for Fourth of July celebrations remains the beachfront fireworks display of my Massachusetts childhood. Narberth is far from any beach, but it does provide the sort of small-town atmosphere that I associate with Independence Day.

Some of my experience of Narberth's Independence Day celebration is captured in the above images, which represent my first attempt to photograph fireworks with a digital camera. I'm generally very pleased with the results, though I'm hard-pressed to explain the odd band of light in the lower left-hand corner of the fourth photo. On the whole, I had a very fine Independence Day in Narberth and would be happy to celebrate the Fourth there in the future. I hope that all readers who celebrated U.S. Independence Day this past weekend enjoyed themselves as much as I did. AMDG.

2 Comments:

At 7/07/2009 10:29 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

My family watched fireflies and fireworks at the Jesuit retreat house at Wernersville?! Narberth is a nice spot for the 4th...

 
At 7/08/2009 9:33 AM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Michelle,

I actually spent the 4th at Wernersville once - I'm glad you were able to see fireworks; I remember hearing them when I was there but there didn't seem to be any close enough to the retreat house to be visible. As for Narberth, it seems to be a nice town in general - Haverford Avenue has an interesting assortment of stores and restaurants, some of which I hope to visit at some point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home