Thursday, October 19, 2006

Notes on the Feast of the North American Martyrs.

Today is the Feast of the North American Martyrs, six Jesuit priests (Jean de Brébeuf, Isaac Jogues, Noel Chabanel, Antoine Daniel, Charles Garnier and Gabriel Lalemant) and two Jesuit donnés (René Goupil and Jean de la Lande) who labored heroically to evangelize the Native peoples of North America and ultimately died for their faith. This feast day has a special place in my heart, and I've written a lot about it before - two years ago I did a series of three posts (one, two, three) on the North American Martyrs, and last year I posted a brief reflection on the Martyrs as brother Jesuits and pioneers in the field of inculturation. This year, I'd simply like to acknowledge yet again the influence that the North American Martyrs have had on my own vocation (for more about this, read this post from two years ago). Wishing to honor the Martyrs and recall their role in my life, I took Isaac Jogues as my patron when I pronounced First Vows in the Society this past August. On this Feast of the North American Martyrs, please join me in praying for vocations to the Society of Jesus. May the example of Saints Jean de Brébeuf, Isaac Jogues and their Companions continue to inspire men to serve the Lord in the Society that bears his name. AMDG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home