Saturday, May 26, 2007

A brief update.

I'm writing from my family home in Rochester, Massachusetts, where I've been spending a restful week in between the end of the academic year at Fordham and the start of my retreat on Monday. All Jesuits are expected to make an eight-day retreat each year; the only exceptions to this rule are for first-year novices and tertians, who make the thirty-day Spiritual Exercises instead. I'll be making my retreat this year in Montreal under the direction of a Jesuit of the newly-renamed English Canada Province (it used to be called "Upper Canada," a name that was abandoned because its rich historical associations are lost on most moderns). Your prayers for me during my retreat would be appreciated, and please know that I will also be praying for the readers of this blog.

After my retreat, I'll be in Chicago for province days and ordinations. From there, I head to San Jose to start work at Catholic Charities. I probably won't have much opportunity to update this blog between now and then, so the odds are good my next post will be online sometime in June. In the meantime, I'll be celebrating my 27th birthday, which isn't much of a milestone except that it signals a slow shift from the mid- to the late-twenties. A more authentic milestone which I should acknowledge here is the recent marriage of Rebecca Goldenberg and Steve Silver, who are currently in Paris for their honeymoon. I hope the readers of this blog will join me in wishing Becca and Steve the very best. Mazel tov, AMDG.

4 Comments:

At 5/26/2007 3:46 PM, Blogger Matt Dunch SJ said...

Have a great retreat, you will be in my prayers. See you at the ordinations.

 
At 5/26/2007 5:42 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Prayers are promised for your retreat...may it be grace-filled and offer a bit of refreshment amid the "soul work".

Though not obliged by rule to spend 8 days a year, I've gone most years since my late twenties. When my kids were very small (nursing infants can go many places, but silent retreats are not one of them!), I couldn't go. I'm far more grateful now for my 8-days than I ever was at the slow end of my twenties!

 
At 5/27/2007 11:19 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Many blessings, Joe! It sounds like it will be a very filling time. May there be many graces! An early "Happy Birthday"!

 
At 5/27/2007 1:00 PM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Matt: Thanks for the prayers, look forward to seeing you in Chicago.

Michelle: Likewise, thanks for your prayers - I'm glad to hear you've been able to make the eight-day retreat a part of your life over the years. It's an opportunity I wish more people were able to take.

Lisa: Thanks much - I'm looking forward to the retreat and to the graces and surprises it will surely bring. Your "happy birthday" is right on time, as the day happens to be today - I wasn't more specific in my post, but May 27 is the day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home