Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Georgetown.




Here's a trio of images from my most recent visit to my alma mater. I've always enjoyed taking pictures of the Healy Building (top), and I particularly like the way this Georgetown landmark looks against the cloudy sky in this late afternoon photo. The statue in the foreground is of John Carroll, the first Roman Catholic bishop in the United States and the founder of Georgetown College. The subdued light of an overcast day brings out the realistic details of the statue, such as the folds and wrinkles in Carroll's cassock. At the same time, the color of the statue seems to blend well with the varied gray hues of the sky and the Healy Building.

I've often noted the critical impact that my experiences at Georgetown had on my life and vocation. Many of those experiences took place at Dahlgren Chapel of the Sacred Heart (center), where I regularly attended Father Tom King's 11:15 pm daily Mass. Dahlgren is an important place for me, and I've taken many pictures of the chapel over the years. The success or failure of my efforts to photograph the inside of Dahlgren have varied a lot depending on available lighting; in this instance, a combination of natural light and the dim wall lamps in the chapel seems to have produced good results.

Finally, we have a night shot of the entrance of Joseph Mark Lauinger Memorial Library (bottom). Thousands of Hoyas have walked beneath the words Cognoscetis Veritatem et Veritas Liberabit Vos - "You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" (Jn 8:32). My sense of the meaning of these words owes a great deal to a January 2000 opinion piece in The Hoya by the aforementioned Tom King, S.J. I strongly recommend you read this piece, which offers a highly personal yet universal reflection on the theme of vocation as well as a view of the "inside story" behind the Latin words that many Georgetown students have passed without reflecting on their meaning. To the extent that I have grasped these words, I have to give a lot of credit to my experiences at Georgetown. AMDG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home