Saturday, July 03, 2010

Across the Sea.



In just a few hours, I'll be boarding a plane to Frankfurt on my way to Innsbruck for six weeks of intensive German language study. A lot has been going through my mind as I prepare for this trip, though I've been a bit too preoccupied with the practical details of packing and the like to try to synthesize my thoughts for this blog. I do hope to post occasional updates during my time in Austria, so stay tuned.

In lieu of further reflections at the start of my journey, perhaps you might appreciate this solo piano rendition of the song that gave this post its title. The fifth song on the 1996 Weezer album Pinkerton, "Across the Sea" remains (at least by my lights) the best song that Rivers Cuomo has ever written; it also sounds great on piano, though the sound recording on this video could be better. In any case, Auf Wiedersehen until next week. AMDG.

4 Comments:

At 7/03/2010 3:58 PM, Blogger Steve said...

"So send me your love, from all around the world as if I could live on words and dreams and a million screams, oh how I need a hand in mine to feel!"

Great song... "Only in Dreams" is the only Weezer song that I think comes close to being as good as this one.

 
At 7/03/2010 10:36 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Traveling mercies! Prayers for the studies...

 
At 7/15/2010 10:13 AM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Steve,

On reflection, I think you're probably right about "Only in Dreams." The Blue Album has other gems besides "Only in Dreams," but I still think of Pinkerton as the best Weezer album on balance even if it's a bit uneven (some tracks are brilliant or just plain beautiful, others not so much).

 
At 7/15/2010 10:14 AM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Michelle,

Thanks for your prayers - language learning is hard work, so they are much appreciated!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home